I get it now.

You know how bloggers you love write amazing blogs and then completely drop off the face of the earth shortly before their weddings? We call it blog 'n run. It's very obvious on Weddingbee, but some of my favorite bloggers who used to be commentors here stopped writing shortly before their weddings and never recapped, never returned to say, "we survived", nothing.

I write a cooking blog I rarely update, so I understand that some people are just not that great at blogging. Some of us want to write about weddings generally, not specifically. But for the most part, now I understand.

Last week, my life was still the Bar.


(Like those? It's only half of my bar review books.)

Ever since we hit last Thursday, we are in full Wedding Mode. If it's not being made, it's being ordered. If it's not being constructed, it's being planned. If it's not being assembled, it's being agonized over. Things are happening and they are happening fast. Part of this is because for the next six weeks, I'm volunteering on a campaign for state delegate in my home district, which is about an hour's drive.

It's hard to keep up and keep writing and keep providing pictures. And no matter how on top of your to-do list you are, there is always more to get done. I don't feel overwhelmed, exactly, because there are sixty-something days left and the to-do list is relatively short. However, I do feel concerned that most of my spare time will be spent thinking about the wedding, making decisions, and making things happen. This is not a bad thing, but I now understand why people stop writing about it. It just happens too fast.

For example, centerpieces. I thought we had a solution - use beer bottles, trim them, fill them with rocks and dead things. Then I stalked the Ikea website, saw they had the Snortig vases in stock, and happened to be renting a truck and moving some stuff on Monday anyway. This plan involved figuring out how to buy a flat of vases, but that was as complicated as it got. Since they were less than a dollar apiece, it was a pretty easy decision. Our vases are now sitting in our "wedding storage room" with 42 paper lanterns from Ikea. I want to write about how I agonized over whether buying new vases was overconsumer-y of me. I want to write about how I overthought paper lanterns. However, I'm becoming very aware that it might not happen.

I also ordered the dried wheat and flowers to fill them. Hopefully when they come in, I'll be able to get my act together and mock up and take pictures. This isn't my warning that I'll stop writing, simply a warning that you may not be kept in the loop with everything that is happening as it's happening; and also, a warning to those of you writing blogs. Two months out, when you hit overwhelmed, you too will wonder how to possibly keep blogging. However, other smartypants bloggers have been able to do it, so maybe we can too.
more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive